On June 22nd, we celebrated World Rainforest Day. This observance is aimed at raising awareness and encouraging action to save one of Earth’s most precious resources, our rainforests. When we consider that one of the leading causes of rainforest destruction is logging, it only makes sense that we turn to sustainable alternatives for traditional wood products, like flooring. As experts in the flooring industry, we’d like to highlight a great way to protect the environment with your floors, by using CALI’s sustainable bamboo flooring.
At NewGen Restores, we are authorized dealers for CALI Bamboo, a San Diego-based bamboo flooring company. While Cali Bamboo isn’t the only company to produce bamboo flooring, it is our top choice because it undergoes a proprietary Fossilized® manufacturing process that makes it twice the density of any other hardwood floor in the world. Cali Bamboo is trademarked as the World’s Hardest Floors™. It is ultra-low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds), highly sustainable, and durable enough to last a lifetime.
Many people turn to traditional hardwood flooring because it’s durable and easy to clean. However, bamboo has many of the same benefits as typical hardwood without the environmental impact. Some of the most common benefits of bamboo flooring include:
- Durability – Bamboo’s dense fibers make it flexible enough to bend without snapping and it has higher compressive strength than many mixtures of concrete.
- Sustainability – Bamboo is a grass and not a tree which means it doesn’t require deforestation to be harvested. Bamboo grows 15 times faster than other traditional lumber like pine. It also self-regenerates using its roots to replenish the grass after harvest.
- Healthier than hardwood – Pesticides and chemicals are not required to harvest bamboo, and it is also an allergen and bug-resistant flooring option.
- Environmentally Friendly – Regular trees used for lumber can take 30 – 50 years to regenerate, during which time there is no carbon dioxide being consumed, oxygen being used and there is increased soil runoff in the area. On the other hand, bamboo is one of the fastest-growing plants, and it can be continuously re-harvested every 3 years, without damaging its plant system or the surrounding environment.
- Versatility- Much like hardwood, bamboo is available in a variety of finishes, colors, plank widths, and manufacturing types.
- Low Maintenance and affordable – Bamboo is more water-resistant and less scratch-prone than traditional harder. It’s also easy to clean, all you need is to sweep or vacuum it regularly.
So as we celebrate World Rainforest Day and try to implement some ways to save our rainforests, think about bamboo flooring over traditional hardwood for your next flooring project. CALI bamboo is backed by a 50-year warranty and it’s easy to install. NewGen Floors and More is an authorized distributor and we are ready to help you transform your home or business with this versatile, eco-friendly flooring option. Call us to schedule a consultation today!