Recently, we’ve noticed an increase in bamboo as a flooring choice due to it’s eco-friendly properties and sleek design. Many people gravitate toward wood flooring and bamboo provides the perfect low maintenance and low cost choice. Here’s why you should choose bamboo:
Bamboo is considered the most sustainable wooden flooring choice because its made from a renewable grass and not a tree! Bamboo can reach maturity within five years and once the bamboo plant has been harvested the root continues to grow, which means no deforestation or replanting.
- Strong and durable
Bamboo flooring is extremely strong, enough so to rival the strength of some of the better known hardwood types such as oak. Bamboo flooring can also cope with changes to temperature and humidity, meaning it can be installed virtually anywhere.
- Cost Effective
Bamboo offers the luxurious look and durability of hardwood floors at a fraction of the cost. Hardwood flooring (especially the exotic kind) can cost anywhere from $5 – $10 per square foot while bamboo is consistently priced at $2 – $5 per square foot.
- Lots of options
- Bamboo flooring is available in three different styles (horizontal, vertical and strand woven).
- Its available in two main colors, natural (golden and pale tones) and carbonised (coffee coloured brown), but it is also available with a rustic appearance, in a Stone Grey color and with a brushed texture to the surface.
- Bamboo also handles different types of finishes really well. They can either have a Satin-Matt or Matt lacquer added to the surface.
- Some types of bamboo can even be found with additional features such as UV protection, anti-slip lacquer and anti-scratch lacquer.
- Easy to install and maintain
Bamboo flooring can be installed in one of three ways. It can either be:
- glued to the subfloor,
- nailed/screwed to the subfloor; or
- floated over an underlay.
Whichever method is utilized, it’s almost guaranteed that the process will be half the timeline of installing hardwood floors.
- Long life span
Similar to hardwood, if properly installed and cared for, bamboo floors have a long lifespan of decades. Their long lifespan is partially due to the fact that they are easy to care for. All you have to do is sweep your floors with a soft bristle brush and clean them every week with a PH neutral wood floor cleaning spray such as Valspar wood cleaner.
Many persons that suffer with allergies or asthma, find bamboo flooring to be the ideal choice because they don’t harbor dust and dust particles like carpet. Bamboo flooring is more resistant to water damage and it’s also resistant to mildew and mold that can grow and thrive in deep pile carpets and rugs.
So if you’re about to move into a new home or you’re in the process of building/renovating your own and you’re considering your flooring options, you now have a better idea of why you should go the green way with bamboo. If you’re still unsure about what’s the best flooring choice for you, give us a call. We can help you steer through the unnecessary to find what will work best for you and your family.